Coffee and chocolate… is there a better combination for a cupcake?
It goes without saying… I couldn’t survive a day without a cup of coffee. It just wouldn’t happen.
Even when it comes to cupcakes, coffee is the one! This cupcake really is every chocolate/coffee lovers dream. The soft, chocolate-y sponge married with the coffee spiked buttercream creates what can only be described as a small portion of heaven.. honestly!
Can we just take a minute to appreciate how ADORABLE the cases are!
Just so darn cute!
Mondays are my bake day, its just a nice day to relax and after a long work weekend its perfect to make up a fresh batch of cupcakes. The smell alone from the cakes baking is enough to make mouths water and belly’s rumble..
The base of these cupcakes is my go to chocolate sponge, I use it for any chocolate based cake/cupcake and it has never failed me! Everyone should have a go to sponge recipe and this one is mine and forever will be for sure!
It doesn’t use any special ingredients, it just needs a good cocoa powder. Recently I tried Tesco’s cooking cocoa powder and it is one of the best!! It really makes a difference to the taste and I doubt I will be changing in the near future 🙂
Its been used in-
Both of which are tasty cupcake recipes, have a look at them!
The coffee buttercream swirled on top is simply made with instant coffee (Kenco to be exact!) and a simple buttercream. I’ve not tried any other brands of coffee but I find that this one works perfectly.
The trick with coffee buttercream, is dissolving the coffee powder in as little water as you can and leaving it to cool completely! This way, when you add it to the buttercream it won’t melt the butter and helps to keep it firm!
Its took a few attempts to realise this, most have failed and by the time I’ve piped and moved onto the next its melted and lets just say… doesn’t look great! haha.
I topped the cupcakes with some crushed walnuts and as pictured in the top photo, I found some mocha beans in my cake cupboard which I picked up from Tesco a while ago.
These little beauties are exactly whats needed on those lazy afternoons, teamed with a fresh cup of coffee and a book
As per, I will leave the recipe below!
Do check out my previous posts/recipes etc! Have a good week ❤
This recipe makes: 12 muffins and takes 1hr to make.
For the cupcakes-
- 160g caster sugar
- 175g butter
- 40g cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp freshly boiled water
- 115g self raising flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the icing-
- 400g icing sugar
- 200g softened butter
- 2tbsp instant coffee granules
- 1 tsbp boiled water
You will also need:
- cupcake cases
- mocha bean decorations (optional!)
- Preheat the oven to 180/160 degrees fan and line the muffin tray with the cases.
- Start off by dissolving the 2tbsp coffee powder in the 1tbsp of boiling water and leave to one side.
- Add the cocoa powder to a mixing bowl, add the boiling water and mix until a thick but smooth paste has formed. (it begins to smell so good at this point)
- Add both the butter and caster sugar to the cocoa paste and beat until creamed together and smooth.
- Add the eggs and flour, either alternately, or all in one and mix well, ensuring none of the flour has sunk to the bottom and the mixture has an even consistancy.
- Fold in the baking powder and spoon the mixture into the cases evenly. (I try to fill them all at least halfway) and bake in the oven for around 12-15 minutes until they are cooked through and spring back when you prod them!
- Leave to cool, for as long as you can resist;) until cool enough that you can pipe the buttercream onto 🙂
- For the buttercream, in a clean bowl beat the butter until smooth and add the icing sugar in small loads and beat until fully incorporated (adding in small amounts stops the kitchen looking like Santas Grotto!)
- Once all the icing sugar is added, add teeny bits of the coffee at a time, tasting each time until it is at desired strength! You may not need all of the coffee, i didn’t! If it is a little runny after, add some icing sugar to firm up again 🙂
- Pipe onto the cupcakes and then place in the fridge for 15 so it can keep firm and chill a little!
- Whilst in the fridge, take the walnuts and crush with your hands into a bowl and then once you take them out, sprinkle over the cakes! Top with a mocha bean if you have some and enjoy!